Penn Gillette, an atheist, has developed ten commandments for atheists in his new book, God, No. He writes that he came up with them after being challenged by radio and TV personality, Glenn Beck, to do so.
I list them below. I am curious as to what you think about these ten commandments for atheists. All are welcome to comment.-- (be civil).
1. The highest ideals are human intelligence, creativity and love. Respect these above all.
2. Do not put things or even ideas above other human beings. (Let's scream at each other about Kindlversus iPad, solar versus nuclear, Republican versus Libertarian, Garth Brooks versus Sun Ra— but when your house is on fire, I'll be there to help.)
3. Say what you mean, even when talking to yourself. (What used to be an oath to (G)od is now quite simply respecting yourself.)
4. Put aside some time to rest and think. (If you're religious, that might be the Sabbath; if you're a Vegas magician, that'll be the day with the lowest grosses.)
5. Be there for your family. Love your parents, your partner, and your children. (Love is deeper than honor, and parents matter, but so do spouse and children.)
6. Respect and protect all human life. (Many believe that "Thou shalt not kill" only refers to people in the same tribe. I say it's all human life.)
7. Keep your promises. (If you can't be sexually exclusive to your spouse, don't make that deal.)
8. Don't steal. (This includes magic tricks and jokes — you know who you are!)
9. Don't lie. (You know, unless you're doing magic tricks and it's part of your job. Does that make it OK for politicians, too?)
10. Don't waste too much time wishing, hoping, and being envious; it'll make you bugnutty.
Why can't atheists come up with something original? These are simple knock offs of the 10 commandments. Show me something original in atheists thought, something that is foundational to athiest belief that is not origianl to theology or Christian Philosophy. Otherwise it is simply twisting another's thought. Anyone can do that.
Ok, are the statements in parentheses your commentary, Allan, or are they part of what Gillette is saying??
Dandy. May it please God that all atheists observe them.
Gary, the comments in parentheses are from Gillette.
#6 is great: "I say it's all human life." Right...You, Mr. Atheist dares to order the rest of us? As if you're God? LOL I say get over yourself!
If human intelligence is one of the highest ideals I'd like him to provide a logical explanation for the rationale that undergirds all of his ideas.
well i never knew atheists have commandments too. the list looks good and legit though.:)
I was watching Ted talks video with Mr Harris (author of Lies) and I think I really cant agree with him.
Post a Comment